Living at home with my parents over the past year, I’ve been cooking a lot of new things and have definitely broadened my cooking skills. My latest success was homemade veggie lentil soup (well mostly it was a success – both my Mom and Dad had to add some extra salt to their bowls – they love their salt!). I tend to stay away from soup recipes that require veggie broth — I think it’s much better to make everything from scratch. I like this recipe because it’s dead simple and doesn’t require a lot of steps.
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 2 small potatoes
- 2 crushed tomatoes
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 6-7 cups water
- turmeric, fresh green chillies, red chilli powder/flakes
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Chop all the veggies, garlic, and cilantro. Crush the tomatoes in a blender.
- In a big pot, mix water, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and olive oil. Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, lentils, and crushed tomatoes after a few minutes.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with fresh cilantro, turmeric, chillies, salt, pepper, and lemon. Lemon gives it a nice zesty flavour!
- Serve with a side dish (fish or chicken), or for a light lunch, with a baguette or crackers & cheese. Will serve up to four people.